top of page

Ketogenic Diet: What You Need To Know



Keto Diet

Intro

With all the various ways one can eat, it can get overwhelming when looking at all the different options out there. You know I am not a huge advocate of following one specific diet, but I do believe that there are options for everyone out there.

This will be the first of a few “”diet review” posts in which I hope to clarify a few things on certain diets if you need clearer answers.

First on the list: the Ketogenic diet!

 

What is it

The ketogenic diet is essential a very low carbohydrate diet.

You only eat 5% of your total calories from carbs, eat a regular amount of protein (25%-35% of total calories) and eat a lot of healthy fats, 60% of total calories or more.

Woah woah that’s a lot of fat!

Yes it is, and yes fats are good for you. But remember I said here that fats bring in 9 calories per gram versus 4 calories for every gram of carbs. You will be eating less food on this diet because the foods you eat will have a higher energy value.

You get as much energy from eating half an avocado than you do eating 145 grams of cooked brown rice, each brings 161 calories. For visualization, 145 grams of rice is roughly one and a half cup.

I think the biggest misconception about high fat diets is the amount of food eaten. If you want to eat a smaller volume of food per day, then high fat diet, like the Keto diet is the way to go.

The biggest mistake people are making, in my humble opinion, is trying to do high fat and keeping a lot of carbs. It's so easy for example to make a delicious smoothie that's high in fat but then you always want to add the banana, the fruits and veggies. Carbs add up very, very quickly.

The other misconception is that fats are unhealthy for us. Too much fats leads to artherosclerosis! Fat makes you fat! Fats are bad for the heart. Please read this study and this one as well. They each say that there is no correlation between saturated fat intake and cardio vascular diseases.

The only type of fat that is bad for you is trans fats. Trans fats are biologically modified unsaturated fats and are very bad for you. Since there chemical structures have been altered, it’s very hard for our bodies to process them. It’s like eating something that’s not food. Like eating plastic, just gross..

Let’s take an example: Joe needs 3000 calories per day to sustain his lifestyle.

Under the Keto diet, here is his calories proportions PER DAY

150 calories will be eating in the form of carbs (5%)

900 calories wil be eaten in the form of proteins (30%)

1950 calories will be eaten in the form of fats (65%)

An exemple of what Joe could eat, per day

Meal 1: 2 tablespoons psyllium husk, 1-2 cups of coffee, 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, 2-3g

Meal 2: 5 large eggs, 1 cup of